A shameless plug for an outstanding event…
What is it?
Movement is an annual men’s event to inspire and train godly men for influence and leadership in their homes, churches and wider culture. Watch this…
To book in…
Taking a short break from Easter Sunday preaching preparation, I stumbled across this. Rev George Whitefield’s prayer. Note the correct use of the word ‘awesome’…
“Yes, that we shall see the great head of the church once more…….raise up to Himself certain young men whom He may use in His glorious employ. And what manner of men will they be? Men mighty in the scriptures, their lives dominated by a sense of greatness, the majesty and holiness of God, and their minds and hearts aglow with the great truths of the doctrines of grace. They will be men who have learned what it is to die to self, to human aims and personal ambitions; men who are willing to be fools for Christ’s sake, who will bear reproach and falsehood, who will labour and suffer, and whose supreme desire will be, not to gain earth’s accolades, but to win the Master’s approbation when they appear before His awesome judgement seat. They will be men who will preach with broken hearts and tear-filled eyes, and upon whose ministries God will grant an extraordinary effusion of the Holy Spirit, and who will witness ‘signs and wonders following’ in the transformation of multitudes of human lives”.
Phew! If that doesn’t get the neck hairs bristling, then nothing will….
P.s Something to consider… http://movementevent.com
In Term 1 (Sep-Dec) at CCK Shoreham, we introduced 12 new members to our community. Amazing!
These 12 have said ‘yes’, we are with you in heart, vision & values. Why is the concept of membership so important to us?
Love this recent post from the guys at @harborchurch in NH, USA (part of our Newfrontiers family) that goes a long way to summing it up. Here are some reasons NOT to join us – a bit of reverse psychology (with the truth in brackets!) :
1. If you want religion (This church will be built on the radical gospel of grace).
2. If you’re a consumer wanting to “go to church” 1x a week for a nice show (We are not a Sunday show, we are a community of disciples on a mission).
3. If you’re looking for the next cool thing in town (We want to grow by conversion growth, not church-goer transfer growth).
4. If you’re a Christian and you don’t like your current church (You will find reasons to not like this church).
5. If you have a bad track record at churches of being unteachable and causing problems (You won’t change here, you’ll repeat the pattern).
6. If you have an agenda (We have our vision, our mission, and our values—your private agenda does not supersede them).
7. If you’re a wolf (We will sniff you out).
8. If you think this will be a nice little church that stays the same size, where everybody knows your name and you have my mobile number on speed dial and we have a picnic lunch together every week (By God’s grace, we want to grow).
9. If you think this will be easy and smooth (This will be hard and difficult; this will be a fight, a battle, and a challenging mission).
10. If you want to hold onto your comfortable life (You must lose your life).
7 weeks in and all is going great. Well, there are the ‘little foxes that spoil the vineyard’, but hey, I’ve got broad shoulders!
So what’s great?
~ 200+ gathered every week so far (yes, I am counting women & children!)
~ new faces EVERY week! This is phenomenal, and many are connecting. So good to hear their stories
~ needing to multiply small groups very sharpish!
~ learning to harness newly passionate people
~ best of all, 7 weeks ago there was no church. Now there is 🙂
We’ve also gone crazy and started an Alpha right from the kick-off. There were 10 guests last night!
We are three weeks into this incredible adventure!
One week there was not a church like ours in the centre of Shoreham…………..the next week 200+ are meeting regularly to worship Jesus. Quite phenomenal!
What things have stuck out for me so far?
- the multi-site model of doing church starts you from a position of tremendous strength (people, their gifts & resource)
- members who were only partly keen for Sundays are now passionately serving with unbridled enthusiasm, freed from complacency
- dormant leaders (been there done it, or lacking vision) have woken up, stood up, and wised up to the fact that they’re on mission
- video preaching works
- communities are watching us carefully, checking our motives, integrity and credibility
- unbelievers are always present, they really are!
There will be loads more……
In one weeks time, set up will be under way for our first Pre-Launch meeting at the Shoreham Centre. It’s come around so quickly, I can hardly believe it!
At first light, teams of brilliant servers will be moving tech equipment off lorries into the Main Hall (which can squeeze close to 300 people into it), into other rooms to cater for COG’s (our children’s work), and into areas for serving us great coffee & croissants.
Then worship team will get set up, the Connect (Welcome, Host & Point) will hold their positions, looking to engage with all-comers. The magnificent COG’s teams will ready themselves for our little ones. The whole building will be buzzing with expectation!
Expectation is very high, and although that can seem pretty nerve-racking, I for one have very high expectations of the coming months.
My expectations are NOT that we MUST get it all right, first time and with every ‘i’ dotted and every ‘t’ crossed – that simply won’t happen, but we will aim for it. We will be ironing out some hefty creases in the early weeks, no doubt about that. In that respect, let’s see if we can out-do one another in our ‘grace thresholds’. We are going to need to!
But my expectations are on another plain. Remembering that we are acting on the initiation of God, His plans and purposes for us as a church as we move to a multisite model. Jesus building of the church not only fills me with great relief and peace, but reminds me that I can fully expect great things! After all, he’s the Senior Pastor!
My prayer for all of us this week and many that follow, is that we remember that at it’s heart, multisite is simply FOR the gospel and making Jesus famous in more localities than we are currently reaching. Where the gospel gets proclaimed (not just through preaching but through everyday life), people will come to know Jesus – simple.
William Carey once said “Expect great things from God, attempt great things for God.” We’ve been promised ‘quick fruit’, and expectation is high in light of the gospel. If you are a CCK’er involved in this adventure, let’s go for it this coming week. Raise your expectations of a God who is committed to us.
Funny month, August. Everyone is away! Often Ali and I would be away somewhere warm or relaxing (guaranteeing both can be pricey!), but this year the horizon looks different.
If I listen real carefully, I can hear the sound of something approaching….. Yes! The Shoreham Site of Church of Christ the King is coming fast! As I write this short piece there are 46 days remaining before we publicly launch. We are putting up a ‘front door’ to the Shoreham, Southwick, Mile Oak, Fishergate, Portslade areas and surrounds, inviting all to meet Jesus.
That’s what we’ve done in the City centre at New England (and will do at the Racecourse in early 2012), and literally hundreds have connected to us this year alone! This is what we are longing for in the West…….many new people connecting to us and having their lives changed.
As you can imagine, the planning processes for launch are red hot, and may I take this opportunity to say a HUGE thank you to the dozens of folk who have volunteered for teams and even leadership roles in all areas of church life.
If you’re part of this new Site and thinking, ‘Hang on, I need to get in on the act!’, then great. Look to connect with a Shoreham Sunday team of one sort or another. We do need you and would love you to serve. Areas include COG’s, Welcome, Connect, Tech, Set-Up etc. Or perhaps it’s time for you to step up and lead a Small Group (gulp!).
Finally, a reminder that we have two ‘Pre-Launch’ Sundays (Sept 11th & 18th) where we will effectively ‘do’ church together, with all the teams running, including worship and preaching, just so we get it right on the 25th Sept when we go public.
Bring it on…